Thursday, May 03, 2018

On Display May 4 - June 28, 2018

Rug Hooking by Barbara Twigg
May 4, 2018 through June 28, 2018

"I began rug hooking over 26 years ago. When my twin boys were born, I did not have a rocking chair so my Grandmother gave me a beautiful old Stottlemyer rocking chair along with a rug that always sat in front. My Grandmother told me that my Great-grandmother made the rug. It was a geometric pattern with lots of bright colors. I didn’t understand how it was made just that I loved it. A couple of years later I found someone demonstrating at a local craft show how to make these beautiful rugs. I began taking classes and was “hooked”.

Rug hooking is a process of pulling different sizes, colors and textures of strips of fabric (usually wool) through a backing into loops to make a design. It has existed in the US for over 200 years. These designs were made out of whatever fabric and backing were available and used to cover the floors and sometimes even the bed.  Today they are often used on the wall as a work of art.

A few years ago I became McGown certified to teach rug hooking. I teach at a local shop in Frederick, MD called Primitive Homespuns Wool and Needleworks. I am also very active in our local rug hooking guild and love to demonstrate rug hooking at the local ag expo, fair, guild or really to anyone who has an interest. I have participated in many craft shows over the years and currently participate in two a year with a friend:  Boonsboro Days in Boonsboro, MD and at the mill at Waterford in Waterford, VA."
Barbara Twigg

Connect with Barb: Twiggs5@comcast.net