Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Kefa Cafe Art Exhibit - March 2014


March
Miyah Taylor, My Music on Canvas 
February 10 through April 5
Reception: Friday, Feb. 21, 6:30 to 8:30pm


Bio
Miyah Taylor was born in Washington DC and was raised in Maryland. Miyah has worked with multiple mediums and objects such as clay, fabric, acrylic paint, cardboard and oil paint. Her preferred medium is oil paint, but she is very open and likes to try and understand any medium and technique; which is the theme of her most recent pieces that will be displayed at the Kefa Cafe in Silver Spring Maryland. Miyah gets inspired by music, nature, dreams, visions, and issues that occur in her life. Some of the artists who inspire her are Jackson Pollock, Richard Diebenkorn, Barnett Newman, and Andrew Wodzianski. Some of her pieces have been critiqued by Annette Polan and Andrew Wodzianski. She is currently completing her studio arts degree at the University of Maryland College Park and has had previous studio art education at the College of Southern Maryland.

Statement
I am testing color, composition and technique of any kind. I’m also trying to understand what I like and don’t like. As a result of my trials, I discovered that I enjoy working with oil paint especially and the use of different instruments because I like to see what I can do with the instruments and what marks they make. I’m not only showing the testing of components in my art work, but I am mainly allowing the music I listen to and my thoughts to assist me in creating the art. I can’t explain what my feelings were in each piece because they are all spur of the moment works. Also, I prefer the viewer to decide what they feel from my work. When I do abstract art I never envision what it’s going to look like before I do it, it just happens as I create and let the music take me there.